Mike “That Guy” Silverman’s career began in 1989 as a firefighter/paramedic and NCAA Division 1 sideline Athletic Trainer at the University of Maryland. Using experience gained as a kinesiologist, medical lecturer, and emergency care provider, Mike creates fitness programs that are fun, challenging, effective, and most importantly, safe!
His training style is educational and informative, with an emphasis on beginners and those returning to fitness. Mike loves helping people find their fitness passion, own their bodies, and discover their strength.
Mike’s primary gym is Sport&Health at Pike and Rose in North Bethesda, MD but he judges kettlebell competitions and trains police, fire, EMS, and military clients globally.
Mike’s iron-clad rules when training are simple –
- Never turn a client into a circus act. Standing on one leg on a Bosu while doing pistol squats and a rotational swing better damned well have a SPECIFIC reason.
- Real science ALWAYS beats broscience. There’s no such thing as “toning”, “shaping”, or “muscle confusion” and anyone telling you otherwise is likely full of crap.
- Never triple constrain an athlete. Telling someone how heavy a weight to use, how fast to lift it, and how many reps to perform on the same exercise is a recipe for injuries.
- Own your fitness. All a trainer does is help navigate the path to your destination. Mike’s goals mean jack in YOUR journey.
- Biceps don’t hold knowledge. Hire a trainer for what they know, not how they look.
|Certifications & Education|
|BS, Kinesiology (University of Maryland, ’97) |
ACTION Certified Personal Trainer
IKLF Certified Kettlebell Competition Judge
Brookbush Institute Human Movement Specialist
NASM Women’s Fitness Specialist
AFAA Certified Group Fitness Instructor
ACTION Certified Advanced Nutrition
Crossfit Koncepts Level 1 Steel Mace and Clubs Instructor
Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified (HKC) Instructor
Kettlebells (Hardstyle and Girevoy/Kettlebell Sport)
Corrective and Medical Exercise